Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Grad School Drama

I've been thinking about heading back to grad school for quite some time. When I started working at UGA and I realized I could take classes for free through the Tuition Assistance Program and I thought I should probably go back. So in fall 2007 I took my GRE and was excited about applying to grad school. Only, it's four years later and I haven't gotten any further.

I was toying with the idea of getting my master's in creative writing. I LOVED the classes I took as undergrad. I'd love to take more. Only I looked at the application's portfolio requirements: 20 pages of fiction, a 15-page critical essay. I'd never written anything that long at the time (hello, I live in the land of 500-word stories) and had no idea to write a critical essay one page or 15 pages. I decided I would work on it over the summer and apply the next fall.

Next fall rolls around and my husband starts grad school. With both of us working fulltime and him taking 2 classes a semester, we decided that only one of us could go to school at a time. I'd wait. (And in the mean time I don't work on my portfolio.)

Now, it's fall 2009 and I'm still thinking about grad school and now I'm not sure what I want to do. I could get a master's in journalism. Maybe take some social media or web classes? And in the back of my mind is still creative writing. Hubby's still in school so I drag my feet.

Spring 2010. We get a letter in the mail. Hubby has been kicked out of his online grad school program. He failed his two spring classes. He stopped doing the work completely. And instead of dropping the classes, he didn't turn any work in and failed them. If you fail two classes, you're out. 

So it's my turn for grad school and I'm more confused than ever. I don't really feel like going to grad school. I like having my evenings free. And I have no idea what I want my master's in. And if I'm going to go to grad school, it needs to be something I'm interested in because it's a big commitment. My boss keeps encouraging me to go back to school since I'm the only one in my corner of the office without a master's degree and it's FREE.

I start asking people about grad school. I really look into the journalism school. I find out that I'd be taking the same classes as an undergraduate and that it's a really tough program. It's not tailored for part-time students and isn't quick like UGA's MPA program.

In the fall I start writing again. Every day. I'm writing, editing, working on a novel-length story, writing short stories. I write more than I ever have in my life. I remember how much I want to write a book. I start reading again in earnest too. And surprise, all the authors I look up to have their MFA's.

In early 2011, I decide I'm going to write this summer and apply for my MFA this fall. In February I cover the university council meeting for a coworker who was out sick only to witness my dreams DYING as the council voted to deactivate the MFA in creative writing. !??!?!?

The program isn't technically dead. They're just not sure they're going to revive it. So, it's safe to say it's in the hospital in critical condition and maybe a nurse will check on it every now and then.

Applications won't be accepted this fall and meanwhile I need to apply to school this fall. My GRE is valid through November 2012, so I need to apply this year or hope for an EARLY consideration next year. (I'd rather not take it again.)

I know it's my fault for dragging my feet, but I wasn't ready. I am now, and I don't know what to do.

It seems my options are:

1) To see about taking undergraduate classes in the mean time. Since I've been out of school for a while, I don't know what I'll have to do to open up my record and start taking classes again.

2) Cross my fingers that the MFA comes back quickly.

3) Apply to the school's doctorate program that still exists.

4) Try another school. My mother-in-law told me about Kennesaw State. They have a respected Masters of Professional Writing Degree. They offer lots of evening classes, so it's very doable for someone who works. They're in the university system so I could go for free. BUT it's a 2.5+ hour drive one-way. Even taking one class a week would mean six hours driving in one day, and that's a lot.

I can't find another MFA program within an hour's drive. I think Georgia State might have one. Not sure. The Savannah College of Art and Design in Atlanta has one. It's an hour+ drive, which is more doable. BUT the school is private, so I can't use Tuition Assistance, which is kind of the point. I'm not sure if they offer night classes. They might have an online class or two. They're website is pretty but not functional. It's not easy to find anything on there. I ended up calling them today only to have this idiot admissions rep tell me that I can't contact the professors or department directly. !?!? Every other school has that info online. "How can I tell if the school is a good fit?" I asked her. She said she could set up an appointment for them to email me. I told forget it. If you're school is that crazy, you're not for me.

So it looks like I have choices, but going to UGA would be easiest and it's really what I want. We'll see what happens. 

Fingers crossed.


No comments: