Sunday, February 27, 2011

Going solo to a bridal show

You haven’t lived until you’ve been to a bridal show by yourself. Really.

Today I had that awesome experience and I’m not even getting married.

I am, however, helping to plan my high school class reunion. We were talking about the menu for the event and Brad, the guy we’re coordinating the rental with, suggested coming to the bridal show his venue is throwing because there’d be lots of food to taste.

Count me in. I love food. Love. Love. Love.

There were four of us planning the reunion. One girl got knocked up and excused herself. Then there were three. The last girl didn’t come to the last meeting. Her son was at the doctor….She also stopped returning calls. The former class president is a nurse and was working the day of the bridal show so I messaged sick-child girl. She said she’d see if she could get a sitter and let me know in a day or two if she could make it. Five days later I messaged her again. Now, she can’t come because she’s having family over.

Seriously. If you can’t do something, just fess up. It will be better for everyone involved. We can move on and replace you.

So it’s a day before the show. I ask the hubs if he wants to go. He agrees. And it’s set.

I’m dressed and ready to go. He’s eating a hamburger, wearing a Krispy Kreme shirt that he wears to paint in. He’s the one who asked if we could leave early so he could watch the race. I guess he’s not going. Arg! I could have gotten someone else to go with me. A neighbor. Someone. Anyone. But I’m dressed so I head out by myself.

The girl at the registration table asks me if I’m the bride. (!)

After that initial weirdness, the event was fine and I got over being by myself pretty quickly. I just treated it like I was on assignment. I went to the upstairs ballroom, took pictures of the cheese assortment and seasonal fruit display. I took notes on the chicken salad in a phylo cup that fell apart as soon as the tongs touched it (too messy!). I stayed away from the grits bar. It was cute, but I don’t want sit-down food at the reunion.

Downstairs the food was a sit-down dinner. It looked great but I didn’t even get a plate. I’m not interested in that food and didn’t want to waste calories.

It was weird being by myself. But I don’t think anyone noticed. There were lots of pairs there. And as quickly as I did everything, it might have just looked like my fiancée or mother was just off getting another glass or wine or chatting with the pastry chef about grooms cakes.

I actually did have a good time. I was in and out so very quickly. If I’d gone with someone I wouldn’t have gotten it done that quickly. I ate lots of food. The southwest eggrolls were good, the grilled cheese and tomato soup shooters were so much better than I thought they would be. And to top it all off, they had chocolate covered strawberries—my favorite thing in the world.

So maybe it was good I went by myself. I got it done. I took good notes. And I didn’t eat too much.

If someone reminds me about this event next year, I’m bringing the husband. We can pretend we’re getting married again and gorge ourselves on food.



This is the sample plate they brought me. You can see my notes in the background.

No comments: