I picked this book up because I saw Alex Pettyfer, who will play Number 4 in the upcoming movie, take off his shirt on the Ellen show. Swoon. Aren't I so shallow?
That and it kept coming up on Amazon as something I might like. The plot sounded interested, so I read it.
The basic plot is that nine alien children were sent to earth as aliens were destroying their planet (hello Superman?) and that they're aliens hunting them, but they have to be killed in order. Three are dead so they're after Number Four.
The book was a little too action-oriented for me. It was all action. I wanted more levels, complexity, something different. And Number 4 is such a stereotypical hero. He does heroic things, gets the girl. What makes him different? I don't know. He has a shape-shifting pet. I haven't seen that done too much before. He has a nerdy friend. We've seen that done before too.
So number four has super powers. He's super fast and strong. He develops more powers. His hands light up, he's flame resistant and he can talk to animals. He has telekinesis. I'm just not impressed.
The book did end with a lot of unanswered questions that kind of make me want to read the next book. Like how did Number 6 develop her powers before him? What's so special about Paradise, Ohio that they had to go there? What's the deal with the bully Mark helping out in the final epic battle? And I guess what's going to happen to the Lorien children? And will Four develop and new powers.
I guess I'll go see the movie. This book disappointed because it was so cookie cutter. Make the hero a little deeper. Give him something to make him a little different. Have a fabulous twist ending. A book ending after an epic battle? That's not original.
No comments:
Post a Comment