Warning: This is a little different than my usual postings about food and the silly things I do. It's about my job—what I actually do, and it's serious (something I rarely am).
Today I had the immense pleasure of interviewing Mary Frances Early. I've interviewed her once before and she is an absolutely amazing woman. She is kind and everyone says the greatest things about her.
Early was THE first black graduate of the University of Georgia. She was the third student to enroll and because of transfer credits she graduated first. She went on to teach music in the Atlanta public schools for 37 years and then to teach at Atlanta colleges for at least another decade. She frequently makes trips to UGA's campus and she's always encouraging UGA students.
It is one of the true joys of my job to be able to meet people like her. It's why I went into journalism: to meet interesting people and hear what they have to say.
She told me that when she went to school here, students would throw rocks at her. In the dining halls they threw lemon wedges at her. They even spray-painted the N word on her car.
It is so hard for me to imagine a time like that.
Yet she lived through it and paved the way. She's not bitter. She said it made her more compassionate and aware of other's feelings. She worked as the head of Clarke-Atlanta's music department and said she always made few the few white faculty members felt welcome.
I can't wait to write her story. She is just such a special person.