Monday, March 8, 2010

Furlough Day

Today was one of my state-mandated furlough days. I try to make the best of them—pay cut be damned! The way I see it, it's a day off—one that I normally wouldn't take so why not have some fun?

I got errands done early this morning: bank, shopping, UPS store, recycling drop off, etc.

Then, Matt and I went out to lunch. (It's a furlough tradition). Matt was pleasantly surprised that it was spring break, so downtown is a ghost town. Or it was business professionals instead of students spending their parents money. So parking was easy.

We went to Last Resort. A place that Matt boycotted for about 10 years because he thought the waiters had hepatitis (where he got this idea I don't know). When one of his old college roommates suggested it last year, he agreed to it (it helped that I told him they had Ceclilia cakes). Needless to say, he loved it and we've been back several times.

Last Resort is contemporary Southern. They have fried green tomatoes and crab cakes—seasoned in a gourmet fashion. They also have a lot of vegetarian options. For lunch they are reasonably priced: around $7 an entree. And I usually get the black bean crepes. (the beans are seasoned really well, and it's served with sour cream and a grilled veggie medley). For dinner, it's much pricier and the kind of place some of the local high schoolers go to for prom. I've only been there for dinner once: when we celebrated Matt's promotion. I had tilapia in parchment and it was the best fish I've had in a long time.

Today Matt got the Gourmet Burger and I got the chicken enchiladas. My dish was good, seasoned well. I cleaned my plate. Matt's burger was, apparently, out of this world. He said it was the best burger he'd had in a long time, and better than his current favorite Ruby Tuesday burger. He said the bread was thick and fancy, the beef was seasoned with amazing spices and it was topped with bacon. So, we enjoyed lunch.

For dessert, we hopped over Black Forest Bakery for their chocolate-filled peanut butter cookie sandwiches.

Just doing our part to stimulate the local economy.

No comments: