Matt's leg surgery was early so I didn't get to sleep in like I had hoped. I got up the same time as getting up for work. I did some quick cleaning in case Matt's parents came over, I walked the dog (who wouldn't even leave Matt's side to eat breakfast) and we were out the door around 8 a.m.
We met Matt's parents at the surgery place. (It was an outpatient procedure at a surgery center, not hospital). They took Matt back and I got to go back with him. I tried to talk about anything random so he wouldn't get too nervous about the surgery. They gave him an IV, shaved his leg and after about an hour they took him back. I went out into the waiting room for the surgery. After about an hour the doctor came out, he said the surgery went well, Matt's muscles looked good and that he had some good meds so should feel fine for the next few hours. I met back Matt back in recovery, where I helped him drink some ginger ale and graham crackers so he'd have enough in him stomach to take some pain meds. I got the care instructions for Matt and then we were off.
The nurse wheeled Matt to the car and we drove home. (Matt's parents drove back to their house, so I kinda regret spending that extra time cleaning the house but we thought they'd come over). "Slow and steady," Matt kept saying. I was driving SO slow taking no risks and really wanted to apologize to the drivers behind me. I was thinking that I needed a sign for my car and Matt said "You need a Wounded Warrior: Just had Surgery sign." He kept telling me to drive slower. I was going 35! he decided that 35 was probably slow enough. He kept telling me to take tuns slower so I took one comically slow—just to make a point. I asked if it was slow enough. He said almost. We got home without him barfing and that's all I had hoped for.
We got him settled on the couch with his leg up on that pink pillow the surgeon gave him. We've been icing his leg every two hours. I even set my phone alarm so he'd take his meds at the right time.
Unfortunately, when we went to take his pain pill at 3:10, I gave him the other half of the pill he took at the surgery center. He said that half was too small and wanted another pill. I'm not sure if he grabbed the the bottle or I did, but he halved another pill. Two hours later he asked for the other half of the pill. I opened the pain medication and couldn't find the other half. I took every pill out and couldn't find it. So I opened the anti-inflammatory (which I had labeled) and found two pill halves—one pain and one not. Apparently he had taken an anti-inflammatory instead of his pain medicine. The nurse was adamant that he take the pills every four hours and not let the medicine get out of his system. I am officially the worse sitter ever.
The medicine worked fast and catastrophe was averted.
I've been making sure he's fed, hydrated and Mojo's not crushing him ever since and let me tell you, I am ready for bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment